My mum had a lovely birthday yesterday! There she is posing with her baby, Ringo, and below she models her "red hat society" gear that my sister bought her as a joke for turning 50.
I wanted to share my tasty vegan chocolate and coconut cupcakes with everyone. This recipe is a modified version of one of Alicia Silverstone's "kind life" recipes. They are so simple to make and even easier to devour!
2/3 cups soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup dried shredded coconut
2/3 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup safflower oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose baking flour
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
1/3 cup agave nectar
3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened vegan cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 325°F and line 10-12 muffin tins with muffin papers.
2. Combine milk and vinegar, mix, and allow to sit until the mix bubbles. Add agave nectar, oil, and vanilla. Stir well.
3. In another bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, dried coconut, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until smooth.
4. Pour batter into the tins and bake for 18-22 minutes until a fork comes out clean when stuck into the center of a cupcake.
5. Cool cupcakes for at least 15 minutes before frosting.
6. For frosting, cream butter, agave nectar, and sugar together using a mixer. Add vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Mix on low speed. Add cocoa powder a little at a time if you have difficulty combining ingredients. If the frosting is a bit loose, refrigerate for a bit before using.
7. Frost those cupcakes, add some shredded coconut to the top if you wish, and enjoy!
These cupcakes can be enjoyed by the pup, too, just DON'T add the frosting (since pups cannot have chocolate)! JD and Ringo loved these soft treats :]
Has anyone else made any yummy treats lately?
Well, we're off to watch project Runway, but here is a photo to make you smile. JD in his aunt's crab hat that she got in Boston:
x's & o's