I found a recipe for dog treats that was full of dairy products and lacked any nutrients, so I decided to come up with my own recipe. Since I've made these a few days ago, JD and Ringo (the pickiest pugs on earth) cannot stop eating them! The great thing about these is that they are softer than most dog "cookies". Since both JD and Ringo have missing teeth and JD was also born with a crooked jaw, neither of them can generally eat dog cookies, so they seem thrilled now that they have found something just for them! Without further ado, here is our recipe:
Hearty Carob Cookies for Canines
- Egg replacer equal to 1 egg (I use Ener-G egg replacer made from potato starch)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup canola or safflower oil
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups carob chips
- 3 tablespoons of soy or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tbsp water.
- In a large bowl, combine egg replacement, applesauce, broth, agave, the brown sugar mix, and oil.
- Gradually stir in flour. The dough should be stiff.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough.
- Use your preferred shape cookie cutter to make shapes from the dough. (You can also roll them into small balls instead, then slightly flatten the balls down in your palm to make a rounder, puffier treat)
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for 30 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
- While treats are still warm, use the remaining brown sugar to sprinkle over them.
- Combine carob chips and soy/almond milk and melt them together in microwave or in a saucepan.
- Dip half of the each treat into melted carob mix.
- Place cookies on waxed paper and let stand until carob is set.
The boys can't seem to get enough of these. If you make some for your dogs, be sure to let us know how they like them. This week is a great time to make some heart shaped cookies as a Valentine's Day gift to your furry friend :]
x's & o's